Project Case Study:Developing & Executing a Content Management System Migration Plan
Case Study at a Glance
- Client: National telecommunications networking equipment and software services supplier
- Industry: Telecommunications
- Size: Large (1,000 to 9,999 employees)
- Main Digital Services: Digital Experience & Optimization
- Methodologies & Tools: Project Management, Planning & Development
- Summary: When a national telecommunications equipment and software services supplier learned its content management system (CMS) would be sunset. It sought help from the Main Digital team to map out a plan and manage the migration of its web assets to a new CMS solution.
In 2020, a national telecommunications equipment and software services supplier learned its content management system (CMS) would be sunset by 2021.
In response, the firm sent RFPs to several companies searching for a new CMS solution. After a technical evaluation, the firm selected Squiz Matrix, a web-based CMS, owned by Squiz, which helps digital marketers create, publish and manage site content without a requirement for deep technical skills. The firm also sought the digital experience and optimization services of Main Digital experts to plan and lead its migration to the new platform.
The scope of the project included managing the migration of the firm’s site content to the Squiz Matrix CMS, related development and managing development partners during the project, including the following:
- Internal web team
- CMS Product Development Team
- Third-party Design and Development Team
The Main Digital project team mapped out a plan that included migrating the firm’s assets in three waves — the first in April 2021, then the second in October 2021 and the third in November 2021.
Overall, the project presented several challenges:
- Working with various business units and the internal web team to identify old content that did not need to be migrated to the new system
- Working with the internal web team and new CMS to develop logical, meaningful taxonomy and content folder organization for all the firm’s sites within CMS Matrix
- Working with development partners to ensure Main Digital would be able to complete the migrations in three waves as planned
- Being mindful of the sunset date of the original CMS to ensure the team migrated the firm’s web assets before that date
Main Digital Solution
Main Digital provided an experienced team, including a project manager (PM) and digital strategists to oversee and manage the firm’s migration plan alongside development partners.
The Main Digital team collaborated with the vendor partners to craft a comprehensive project plan for each migration phase. We provided weekly status readouts to client leadership and coordinated demos of the development work in progress for users. As typical with these types of engagements, there were several instances where partner vendors encountered issues with development and deployment. The Main Digital team worked closely across all stakeholders to provide transparency and solutions to roadblocks along the critical path to ensure the project timelines were not compromised.
Led by Main Digital, the firm successfully migrated all of its web content assets to a new CMS without experiencing any degradation or asset loss. Furthermore, the firm is now utilizing a powerful content management tool that will scale with its business growth for years to come.